Monday, May 18, 2009

May 18, 2009

Hey Mom,

Okay, so this will really be interesting since it has been a week since I
have talked to you last, but I have a crazy story that you will not
believe.

On Monday I enjoyed Coney, and yes, I did grab a hot dog, we just got it to
go. It was really good, but very expensive. Haha. But that's how it goes.
Volleyball and soccer and the beach were great, it was maybe my favorite
P-Day so far, I really enjoyed it.

Okay, so now for the story. Tuesday morning we are in the apartment, moving
things around to get ready for the new comers. We are going to leave in
about 30 minutes to take the train to the mission office to go to transfer
meeting. Then we get a phone call from the AP's (assistants to the
president). Elder Heiner answers it, and all I hear is Elder McLean say,
"We made a horrible mistake." At this point both me and Elder Heiner are
thinking that we are both splitting and that we will just both get a new
companion, that is how they are going to add a companionship. But that was
not it. So Elder Heiner finishes the phone call, and gets off, and turns to
me and says, "Elder Miller, you are getting transfered. You are going to be
step-poppsing (mission lingo, explain later) in Jamaica." It took me a
couple seconds to realize what he said, and then it was off to packing. I
had to pack all of my stuff in about 20 minutes, and then off to the mission
office for the meeting. So I did get transferred, to Jamaica. Oh yeah, and
step poppsing just means that I am my companions second companion, so he
just had his trainer, and now me. So I am senior companion and such now, it
is really weird. So that is my crazy story. I heard from the AP's that
what happened is when they made transfer calls on Sunday, the were looking
at the list from Thursday, but a few changes were made by Sunday, but they
didn't have the updated list with them. So remember how you said you were
scared I would go to Jamaica at one point in my mission, well, it just
happened, and I have been here for about a week.

My new companion's name is Elder Zimmerman, he is from West Valley. He is
pretty cool, we actually share a lot of the same interests, so that is nice.
He is in his 3rd transfer, actaully just hit his 5 month mark yesterday. So
it has been a weird adjustment for me having to be the senior companion,
when he doesn't understand what somebody is saying on the phone he hands it
to me, as in a lesson. It is really weird. I guess it has been nice
knowing I am capable of it though. His spanish is not very good yet, but it
is progressing. So taht is all that matters.

This week I have just been getting used to the area and trying to work hard.
We met a guy on Wednesday that the English sisters had found, and we
commited him to be baptized on the 31st, so it will be great to keep working
with him. There was also an existing commit when I came for the 31st, the
husband of member, and we went over this week and had a lesson with him and
talked about temples. We set a plan for them to get sealed in the temple in
a year. It is awesome that he isn't even baptized yet and he already has
the goal of going to the temple. Other than those two there aren't many
investigators that I came in to. It will be fun to try to build it up. It
will be hard though, Jamaica is all black, there are about 5 white people in
Jamaica, and they are all missionaries.

It was weird to not be able to say bye to anybody down in Dyker. Even the
Sister Missionaires didn't even know I was leaving unitl after I was gone.
One funny thing is that I was going to be giving a talk down there on the
31st. Guess I am not doing that anymore. Haha.

I am sorry I have not got you the serial number yet, this week has been a
little crazy, as you can see, but I will send it today, as well as find a
Rite Aid or somethign that you can get my perscription to.

I am going to see if Pods came today. If not I will be on shots until they
do, because my last Pod expires tonight. But that will be fine, I had to go
on shots in the MTC too. I could use some more syringes. You can talk to
anybody in the office about contacting me, I am not sure who the office
elders are right now, but one of the office couples should answer the phone,
and then will contact me if you ask them.

The guitar belongs to a member, her name is Catherine Tolentino, she is like
21 I think. It was fun to play. A lot of people told me how cool they
thought it was that I played, that they had never had anyone play the guitar
as part of a talent before. I might get to play a sax or clarinet if a
member has one and if the situation arise, but we will see.

I will start taking more pictures, i have set a goal.

Yesterday was stake conference, it was actually a regional conference, so it
was telecast from Salt Lake. Elder Hales and Elder Eyring spoke, so it was
way good. It was weird being back in Queens, at a Queens stake conference,
because I saw a lot of members from Flushing. It was cool.

So you are going to find out soon enough, so I might as well tell you, don't
get scared or freaked out, but you know how 50 Cent got shot in Jamaica? He
got shot on the corner of Parsons and Hillside. You want to know where my
pad is? The corner of Parsons and Hillside. The exact same place. I sleep
seconds away from where he got shot. It is kind of crazy. I will take a
picture of the corner and send it to you. hey, you said you wanted
picutres. :)

Well, I love you mom. It has been a crazy week, but good. I will talk to
you next week. Try not to freak out too much that I am in Jamaica.

I love you.

-Elder Miller


PS for everyone that does not know. Jamaica is a city in new york that is
umm kind of tough, Keep Bradon in your prayers. I am his mommy and worry!

No comments: